The Saffire PRO 40 from Focusrite is a multi-channel FireWire audio interface that features 8 Focusrite low-noise preamps, along with digital inputs and outputs. High-quality digital conversion and JetPLL jitter elimination technology ensure pristine audio quality through the signal chain.
Every channel features phantom power, with 9dB pads on the first 2 channels providing additional headroom. Front-panel 5-LED metering for each analog input offers accurate viewing of levels. Two independent headphone buses are provided, each with its own level control. Additional front panel controls include a main monitor dial with dim and mute switches, all of which fully integrate with customizable software to cover every possible monitoring need, from basic stereo to full 7.1 surround.
Alongside the analog and digital I/Os are virtual “loopback” inputs that allow for routing digital audio between software applications, using the Saffire PRO 40 Control. This zero-latency DSP software provides extensive output routing and monitoring, a clear mixing layout, and large on-screen metering for inputs, outputs, and sub-mixes.
Focusrite’s Xcite+ bundle features Ableton Live Lite (for all your production, performance, and compositional needs), Novation’s Bass Station soft synthesizer, the Midnight Plug-In Suite, and over 1 GB of royalty-free samples from Loopmasters.
The Focusrite Red 2 and Red 3 Plug-In Suite (AAX, Audio Units, VST) delivers accurately modeled plug-ins based on the classic Focusrite Red 2 EQ and Red 3 Compressor hardware. The plug-ins allow for conveniently exploring the sound of the hardware originals from within Pro Tools (10 and above), along with other audio software. The software is a free download for new and current owners of the Saffire PRO 40.
In addition to the Red 2 and Red 3 Plug-in Suite, the interface includes the Softube Time and Tone Pack. Modeled after the Drawmer 1973 FET Stereo compressor hardware, the Drawmer S73 Intelligent Master Processor is a plug-in that aids in balancing and shaping a mix. TSAR-1R Reverb adds space, depth, and width to a sound. Change settings with a single slider, from realistic three-dimensional rooms to dramatic and dreamlike halls. Tube Delay is an echo effect that can go from clean to rude by overdriving its three modeled-tube stages – delivering everything from realistic room echoes, to rockabilly-style slap back, to dub reggae echo. Saturation Knob is a modeled output distortion unit that adds grit and warmth – use it to fatten up bass lines, add some harmonics and shimmer to vocals, or simply destroy a drum loop.
- The interface is fully Thunderbolt compatible with the use of a simple FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter (sold separately)
- 2 independent headphone busses each with its own level control on the front panel
- Monitor control panel includes level control and “Dim” and “Mute” switches
- Front-panel, 5-LED metering for all 8 analog inputs
- Zero-latency 18 x 16 DSP mixer/router software for controlling the interface and for setting up every possible monitoring need, from basic stereo to 7.1 surround
- Plug-in suite upgrades the standard sequencer effects with Focusrite compression, reverb, gating, and EQ VST/AU plug-ins
- Xcite+ Pack includes Live Lite, Novation Bass Station soft synthesizer, and over 1GB of royalty-free samples
- Internal universal power supply
- Focusrite Red 2 and Red 3 Plug-In Suite (AAX, Audio Units, VST) delivers accurately modeled plug-ins based on the classic Focusrite Red 2 EQ and Red 3 Compressor hardware
- Softube Time and Tone Bundle features Drawmer S73 Intelligent Master Processor, TSAR-1R Reverb, Tube Delay echo effect, and Saturation Knob, a modeled output distortion unit
- Midnight EQ 4-band, full-parametric EQ with peaking and shelving plus low- and high-pass filters based on the ISA 110 hardware EQ
- Midnight Compressor with compression ratios of 1.5 to infinity, adjustable attack and auto/manual release, based on the ISA 130 hardware compressor
What's in the box
|Sample Rates||44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96kHz|
|Analog Input||8 x XLR / 1/4" TRS Combo Microphone/Line|
|Analog Output||10 x 1/4" TRS 2 x 1/4" TRS Headphone|
|Digital Input||1 x TOSLink ADAT Lightpipe 1 x RCA coaxial S/PDIF|
|Digital Output||1 x TOSLink ADAT Lightpipe 1 x RCA coaxial S/PDIF|
|MIDI In/Out||2 x 5-pin DIN I/O|
|Headphone Output||2 separate busses|
|THD + N||Microphone/Line: 0.001% (@ 1 kHz with 20 Hz to 22 kHz band-pass filter) Instrument: 0.004% (0 dBu input and 20 Hz to 22 kHz band-pass filter)|
|Dynamic Range||110 dB, A-weighted|
|Frequency Response||20 Hz to 20 kHz, +/-0.1 dB|
|Power Requirements||90~250 VAC, 50/60 Hz|
|System Requirements||Mac: PowerPC G4/Dual 1 GHZ or faster or any Intel-based Mac OSX 10.4 and 10.5 512 MB (more recommended) Windows: 900 MHz AMD or Pentium. (1.5 GHz or higher recommended) Windows XP SP2 (32-bit and 64-bit) and Vista (32-bit and 64-bit) 512 MB (more recommended)|
|Specialties||First 2 input channels feature -9 dB pads for additional headroom|