Designed for recording studios, the Focusrite Clarett 8PreX Thunderbolt Audio Interfacecombines 24-bit 192 kHz A/D/A conversion, 119 dB real-world dynamic range, 1 ms roundtrip Thunderbolt latency, and eight microphone preamps that can model the sound of the company’s ISA transformer-based preamps using the “Air” effect.
The high resolution recording and ultra low latency allows you to enable 64-bit AAX, AU, and VST compatible DA plug-ins while monitoring recordings. The interface comes with 64-bit AAX, AU, and VST compatible Red 2 and Red 3 plug-in suite.
In addition to the Red 2 and Red 3 Plug-in Suite, the interface includes the Softube Time and Tone Pack. Modeled after the Drawmer 1973 FET Stereo compressor hardware, the Drawmer S73 Intelligent Master Processor is a plug-in that aids in balancing and shaping a mix. TSAR-1R Reverb adds space, depth, and width to a sound. Change settings with a single slider, from realistic three-dimensional rooms to dramatic and dreamlike halls. Tube Delay is an echo effect that can go from clean to rude by overdriving its three modeled tube stages – delivering everything from realistic room echoes, to rockabilly style slap back, to dub reggae echo. Saturation Knob is a modeled output distortion unit that adds grit and warmth – use it to fatten up bass lines, add some harmonics and shimmer to vocals, or simply destroy a drum loop.
Housed in a 2RU chassis, the interface features two front instrument ¼” TRS inputs, eight rear panel microphone XLR-3F inputs, eight ¼” line level inputs, six line level ¼” TRS outputs, two ¼” TRS monitor outputs, word clock I/O, 5-pin MIDI I/O, stereo S/PDIF I/O, and sixteen channels of ADAT I/O for expansion.
The front panel also features two ¼” TRS headphone outputs with separate volume controls. A dedicated gain control, a +48V phantom power switch, a phase reverse switch, and a high pass filter switch is provided for each microphone preamplifier. A six-segment multi-channel LED meter provides visual feedback, as well as a level control, a dim button, and a mute button.
Eight New Clarett Mic Pres with Extra “Air”
- Features a special “Air” setting that switches in an analog model of the classic transformer-based Focusrite ISA microphone preamplifier while the instrument inputs provide extra headroom to handle the loudest pickup
Use DAW Plug-ins in Real Time
- Thunderbolt connectivity provides a round trip latency of 1 ms which enables you to monitor through your DAW with your favorite plug-ins such as EQ, reverb, or compression
Precision Digital Conversion
- Offers 24-bit 192 kHz conversion with up to 119 dB of dynamic range
- Provides 26 audio inputs and 28 outputs into a 2U rack space, including 8 analog inputs, 10 analog outputs, stereo S/PDIF I/O and 16 channels of ADAT I/O. Connect up to 16 more mic preamps over ADAT for a 24-channel microphone setup
Front Panel I/O
- Offers two convenient front panel inputs for when the unit is rack mounted
Accessible Metering and Monitoring
- Provides analog and digital input levels and main monitor outputs, via a 6-segment, multichannel hardware meter. The monitor features include a level control, plus dim, and mute buttons alongside dual high-power headphone outputs
Softube Time and Tone Bundle
- Contains Drawmer S73 Intelligent Master Processor, TSAR-1R Reverb, Tube Delay echo effect, and Saturation Knob, a modeled output distortion unit
What's in the box