The Scarlett 18i8 USB 2.0 Audio Interface from Focusrite features 18 inputs and 8 outputs, including 4 front-panel microphone preamps on XLR/TRS combo inputs. Each of the microphone inputs doubles as a line input; the first two also feature switchable Hi-Z instrument inputs. The 18i8 is compatible with Mac, Windows, and iPad – requires an Apple Camera Connection Kit, sold separately.
The Scarlett 18i8 is capable of resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz and features a wide range of connectivity. Its 4 front microphone inputs can provide up to 60 dB of gain and have switchable Phantom power. The rear panel has 4 additional 1/4″ TRS line inputs as well as an 8-channel ADAT Lightpipe connection and a stereo S/PDIF input. The 18i8 also provides MIDI input and output jacks.
The Scarlett 18i8 has left and right 1/4″ TRS monitor outputs, a stereo S/PDIF output, and two independent headphone outputs. It is housed in a rugged and compact unibody metal case to withstand constant use.
The Focusrite Red 2 and Red 3 Plug-In Suite (AAX, Audio Units, VST) delivers accurately modeled plug-ins based on the classic Focusrite Red 2 EQ and Red 3 Compressor hardware. The plug-ins allow for conveniently exploring the sound of the hardware originals from within Pro Tools (10 and above), along with other audio software. The software is a free download for new and current owners of the Scarlett 18i8.
In addition to the Red 2 and Red 3 Plug-in Suite, the interface includes the Softube Time and Tone Pack. Modeled after the Drawmer 1973 FET Stereo compressor hardware, the Drawmer S73 Intelligent Master Processor is a plug-in that aids in balancing and shaping a mix. TSAR-1R Reverb adds space, depth, and width to a sound. Change settings with a single slider, from realistic three-dimensional rooms to dramatic and dreamlike halls. Tube Delay is an echo effect that can go from clean to rude by overdriving its three modeled tube stages – delivering everything from realistic room echoes, to rockabilly style slap back, to dub reggae echo. Saturation Knob is a modeled output distortion unit that adds grit and warmth – use it to fatten up bass lines, add some harmonics and shimmer to vocals, or simply destroy a drum loop.
- Gain Halos
- Unique LED ring “gain halo” indicators make it clear when you have adequate signal for recording. Once the halos are green you have a good level; if they turn red, you’ve applied too much gain.
- Scarlett MixControl
- Scarlet MixControl provides an 18 x 8 DSP mixer with flexible routing capabilities, intuitive one-click presets, and lower than 1.4 ms latency.
- Monitor Control & Mute
- A large main monitor knob with a mute button means that monitor levels are always at your fingertips.
- Software Bundle
- Scarlett 18i8 comes with the Scarlett Plug-in Suite, the Novation Bass Station soft synth, and Loopmasters sample content.
- Focurite Red Plug-In Suite
- Focusrite Red 2 and Red 3 Plug-In Suite (AAX, Audio Units, VST) delivers accurately modeled plug-ins based on the classic Focusrite Red 2 EQ and Red 3 Compressor hardware
- Softube Time and Tone Bundle
- Contains Drawmer S73 Intelligent Master Processor, TSAR-1R Reverb, Tube Delay echo effect, and Saturation Knob, a modeled output distortion unit